[Tigers] Engine Bay/cabin grommets

genepadgett at comcast.net genepadgett at comcast.net
Thu May 22 21:11:23 MDT 2014

Hello all,

I am rebuilding the passenger side vent box (SS kit) and just noticed that behind the box is a 5/8 hole in the sheet metal that is part of the scuttle box section (for lack of a better description) that runs under the windshield left to right and contains the heater core box in the center. Is that hole supposed to have a plug in it or be left open for some reason? Looks like nothing was ever there.

Also, in the same general area is a hole for the windshield washer tube that goes into the engine bay. The hole looks like it goes through a fairly thick area of several layers of metal that includes a cross-sectional strengthening panel inside the scuttle box section. There is no grommet around the washer fluid tubing through the hole. However, the metal is radiused nicely around the hole rather than having sharp edges, at least on the cabin side. Maybe no grommet was intended to go there?

Interestingly, the new grommet from SS in their grommet kit for the tubing where it exits into the engine bay is different from my original factory one. It looks like a regular grommet for relatively thin sheet metal. The factory one basically has a "T" shape cross section with a lip and then a long stem, about 1/2 inch, that goes into the hole. Curiuosly, that old one also fits quite nicely into the hole on the cabin side through the thick sheet metal that is also radiused on the cabin side. Rick's kit only has the standard looking grommet for the engine bay side.

Can anyone please tell me what, if anything should go in these two holes on the cabin side of the firewall?

Thanks, Gene