[Tigers] Valve Cover Removal

genepadgett at comcast.net genepadgett at comcast.net
Sat Nov 1 13:28:34 MDT 2014

As I remember it, I made up a special tool string.

I actually cut off a straight piece of an allen wrench (the separate 90 degree bend type) and used it in combination with 1/4 inch drive swivel socket. The straight piece of allen wrench key stock enabled me to turn the allen head screw/bolt with the swivel socket and a ratchet wrench without firewall interference. Really did not have enough clearance for a hex drive allen socket and universal joints between the back of the valve cover and the firewall on my car.

Hopefully you do not have roller rockers, otherwise you will need to lower the engine to get enough clearance to the cover over the rocker arm fixing nuts.

Good luck!

Gene