[Tigers] This isn't fun anymore...

Jay Laifman jay.laifman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 22:23:32 MDT 2015

Stu,

I agree with you.  This kind of stuff drives me nuts, and it isn't fun.  In
the 35+ years that I have been driving and maintaining Sunbeams and other
cars, I have found that I DO NOT like chasing down parts and dealing with
things that break, especially when it is hard to find the right part, or
taking off the old part causes a bolt to break, or the part comes and it
doesn't fit or it's not as good as the old parts, or the threads strip
putting in on and on and on and on.

I have to admit that my experiences with Porsches have a been a bit
better.  Parts tend to come off easier, and replacement parts tend to fit
like they are supposed to.  But, it doesn't eliminate the frustration.

I have found that for me, the biggest pleasure is getting out and driving
the car.

That said, I happily brag about those 35 years.  And every time I've gotten
a car running again and the frustration is behind me, I feel a great sense
of accomplishment and I get even more emotionally attached to the car
(necrophilism I think it's called - at least that's what a college
girlfriend who was a psych major accused me of).

One final point, I've also found that when I've dived in 100% and fixed
things with the best parts available, and fixed more than needed, I've had
much more reliability.

I wish you look in breaking through the disappointment/frustration/anger
barrier to enjoying your car again.