[Tigers] Steering Rack

Joel Martin jmartiniii at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 07:21:45 MDT 2016

Thanks to all who responded.

BTW, I like to wait until I have actually tried the suggestions provided to see if my limited mechanical abilities have been able to solve the problem or need further assistance and\or report findings.
In this case, I believe I have a good result.  At least good enough for what I have to work with - could have other issues but will see after taking it to the alignment shop. I had purchased SS's LAT option 15" wheels and went with suggested 205/50/15 tires.  I believe 195/50/15 would have been better as I have barely 1/4" spacing at the sway bar bushing and tie rod nuts when turned all the way to the left or right.

Here are the steps per Tom Hall's and others suggestions that I believe worked for me.
First I bought some new tie rod ends from SS, my idea.  They do not come with jam nuts so you will have to source locally.  Mine had 5/8 x 18 x 1/2" wide nuts which was part of the problem.  Believe it or not, I found jam nuts in the specialty drawers at the local hardware which  we only about 1/4" wide.  So far, so good.
With the new tie rods installed and loose, not attached, I centered rack with 1.5 turns both right and left.  I left steering knuckle attached.
I then attached tie rod ends together keeping rack centered with markings and tape to help ensure I did not get the rack off center again.  I just eye balled the alignment of wheels at this point.
I then measured from center of the front tire and center of the back of the front tire to fine tune tie rod lengths.
Next I went to steering wheel and loosened and moved the wheel on the splines so that it was centered on the car.  I just felt this was easier than moving the steering knuckle.  My choice but I guess could be done either way.
Alignment specs seem to be all over the spectrum depending on who you talk to, but that is another topic.

Thanks again to those who responded with excellent suggestions and got me over this hump.
RegardsJoel Martin