[Tigers] Stroker camshafts

Dave Munroe dave at munroe.ca
Mon Nov 20 08:23:51 MST 2017

Brent;

Michael's comment makes a lot of sense. You need to match your engine build
to the use you plan for your Tiger.

You are asking for camshaft advice, but a cam should not be chosen in
isolation from the rest of the engine's components.They should all be
chosen together as you might chose the musicians for an orchestra. They all
must play together in harmony.

My advice is don't over-build you engine. I am  attaching the build list of
my 331 Stroker, and can tell you it makes way too much power for an
enjoyable daily driver. If you are planning any kind of competition, then
make sure you choose your engine's internals to give you the best chance of
success. Maximum power or torque in some forms of competition is a
handicap. Almost any build from stock to fire breathing monster will make
you happy, as long as you understand the price you will pay for going to
far with power production.

Regardless of what I have written above, considering today's reality with
fuel additives and modern oils,, you should install a roller cam to
eliminate the problems of ethanol in the fuel, and lack of ZDDP in modern
oils taking out your flat tappet cam and lifters. Roller rockers, or at
least roller-tipped rockers as well are advisable. My engine build is
capable of making nearly 400hp, and it has stock heads and valves, but has
been ported and the combustion chambers balanced. So aftermarket heads are
not necessary unless you want more than 40o hp.

The Keith Black pistons in my engine measure out at 9.5:1 cr. and I have
installed a 600 cfm 4 bbl

If you want more power than my build, go for more compression and a longer
duration cam. If you want a nice daily driver, choose less aggressive
specs. This build also give me a range of approx. 175 miles/tank.Sometimes
very inconvenient!

Good luck with your engine build, and I wish you success in achieving the
kind of performance you are looking for.

Cheers,

Dave in Nova Scotia  B382000450

On 20 November 2017 at 05:36, michael king via Tigers <tigers at autox.team.net