[Tigers] Fwd: Restated: Mistake in Performing Tiger's Valve ClearanceCheck

Rob Hogan robertdhogan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 11:12:05 MST 2018

I'm asking because as I turned the engine toward #1 TDC with a breaker bar
& socket on the front damper bolt, I heard a distinct sound that was like
something cracked.  The source area was indeterminate.  There was a
resistance to continuing with the rotation, but I didn't judge it as a
reason to stop.  Applied torque was probably less than 30 ft. Lbs. I
dismissed the event as not important until the head was removed to check
the valve impressions in the clay. The sound could have been generated be a
number of things, rod, bearings, piston rings, etc.  Among potential
sources, I have no idea of how resistant to damage a rod bearing position
tab is when the parts are only assembly lubed.
I probably should defer to being safe and disassemble the #1 R&P from the
block for visual & magnaflux inspection or not and take the risk and run
the engine as is.