[Tigers] Air Cleaner Question

awtiger at cox.net awtiger at cox.net
Wed Oct 17 07:21:52 MDT 2018

Joe:

No, that is not to be used to connect the vacuum advance line from the distributor.  Although I am unclear on its function, I can tell you where it connects.  There is a small metal tube that inserts into a hole in the passenger-side exhaust manifold on the forward-facing side of the #4 exhaust runner.  It runs up the side of the engine and over the top of the passenger-side valve cover, terminating just short of the hose fitting that you are referring to on the air cleaner base.  A short piece of rubber hose is then used to connect the tube to the a/c fitting.  My guess is that it is used to direct some warm air into the induction system for assistance in quicker morning warm-ups after the initial start, but there are those on the list who are more learned than I on things like this who I'm sure will chime in with its real function.

I'm assuming that your car is missing this tube, as was mine before I restored the engine compartment.  I was able to get one from one of the classic Mustang/Ford parts suppliers, and then simply bent it to fit by using pics of the cars "back in the day" as a guide.  Let me know if you want a pic and I can get one to you.

Thanks,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK