[Tigers] Tiger Overheating – Shotgun Approach

Joel Martin jmartiniii at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 18 10:04:52 MDT 2019

After about a year of struggling with overheating at idlewith the hood down, I took drastic steps. I have been driving the car during the last year only on back roads withno chance of traffic lights.

   - Purchased and installed SS gloss black radiator overflow tank.
   - Purchased and installed overflow tank straps from Alexander Washick alw6464 at gmail.com which are powder coated.
   - Purchased and installed undersize water pump pulley from Robert Straghan <rgstraghan at yahoo.ca> scuffed, primed and painted semi gloss black
   - Purchased and installed horn hole block plates from Don Lutjen <dlutjen55 at gmail.com> scuffed, primed and painted semi gloss black.
   - Purchased and installed new taller Tiger aluminum cross flow side tank radiator from Griffin Radiator.
   - Purchased and installed new Flow Kooler water pump BRA-1680 painted Ford dark blue to match engine replacing SS water pump, pressed hub to line up.
   - Modified the mechanical fan spacer so that front of fan is 1” from radiator.
   - Mechanical fan remains Flex-a-lite 14” nylon 6 blade fan.
   - Purchased and installed new SS lower radiator and overflow to radiator hoses.
   - New top radiator hose from local source as SS hose would not fit taller radiator.
   - New fan belt.
   - Purchased and refurbished original Tiger fan shroud which would not fit as I did not want to cut a original shroud top mounting bracket to fit my taller radiator.  Stripped, primed and painted used shroud semi gloss black – sitting on shelf.
   - Installed 160 degree thermostat.

So at this point I do not have a fanshroud – unless make up a custom.  Otherchanges could make is front air dam and block front cross member to bottom ofradiator spacing but for now I am going to see how things play out this summer.

Results as follows:

Cold start with 86 degree ambientoutside temperature – at idle with hood closed, car in sun.

5 Minutes engine temperature 174degrees.

9 Minutes engine temperature 180degrees.

12 Minutes engine temperature 190degrees.

14 Minutes engine temperature 195degrees.

16 Minutes engine temperature 200degrees.

Run the motor at 1500 rpm’s for1minute temperature drops to 196 degrees.

Run the motor at 2000 rpm’s foranother 1minute temperature drops to 194 degrees.

Turn motor off and in a total of 27minutes from startup - heat soak is 208 degrees.

All this is recorded from temporarymechanical temperature gauge located under dash.

The car temperature at any speed isat 174 degrees regardless of the outside ambient temperature from 50’s to mid90’s.

Whew, maybe at last can enjoy carwith a couple of things still outstanding to be able to drive it out of townfor any distance.  The Tiger’s firstmajor outing was at the Sandhills Motoring Festival held in Pinehurst NC lastmonth in May – you can get a glimpse of the cars at:  https://www.thepilot.com/gallery/concours-in-the-village/collection_d49fdacc-8091-11e9-86df-2b8021a08259.html  You might have to copy and paste link intoyour browser.

Thank you all for putting up with allmy inane questions and comments over the years.  I am sure there will be more.

Regards

Joel Martin