[Tigers] side moulding fasteners reply John Watertor

jimdamelio jimdamelio at verizon.net
Sun Nov 3 15:42:29 MST 2019

Here's my 2 cents on the fasteners.  The metal rivets were part number 2232727.  They were available in the late 70's from Chrysler.  I sold plenty of them and by mistake sold the ones I was saving for myself.  If I remember correctly, Doug Jennings said he had to make a special tip for his rivet gun because the rivets were so small.  Then you had to be careful to not chip the paint or dent the metal when the rivet went pop.7096040 were the plastic replacements for 2232727.  Much easier to use.  I've sold larger ones of these to replace the rivets on the valance panel for the lower grill moulding.7208008 fixing stud is a plastic 'tee' piece that was used in places like the rear of the door and rear quarter. Places that were accessible from the back and needed extra holding power.7208009 sealing bush is a round plastic piece with a step moulded into it that slips over the fixing stud.7208029 thread cutting fastener was superseded to 9034096.  These are just sheet metal nuts that screw on to the fixing stud and makes treads as it goes. All of the parts begining with 7 were for the Imp.  Of course they held the side moulding on.Hope these come through.  Second time sending. Reduced picture size.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <tigers at autox.team.net> Date: 11/3/19  11:42 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: 'John Watertor' <h2otor at aol.com> Cc: tigers at Autox.Team.Net Subject: Re: [Tigers] side moulding fasteners reply John Watertor John                Thank you for your information.   I don’t think I have ever seen any of the original parts and I’m curious about them.I bought parts from Sunbeam Specialties to install my side mouldings.   I made a few threaded fasteners to give a more positive clamp force.  So far the indications are that the parts are from the Imp line due to the starting # of 7 of the part numbers. I’m also thinking the 7208029 thread cutting fastener was an optional fastener.The number of fasteners did not add up – 46 are needed but the parts list indicated 52 – that is why I think the thread cutter was optional. I’m still hoping to see picture of the original parts. Ron Fraser  From: Tigers <tigers-bounces at autox.team.net> On Behalf Of John Watertor via TigersSent: Saturday, November 02, 2019 7:43 PMTo: tigers at autox.team.netSubject: Re: [Tigers] side moulding fasteners reply John Watertor Don't know if I sent this reply to you correctly?-----Original Message-----From: John Watertor <h2otor at aol.com>To: tigers-request <tigers-request at autox.team.net>Sent: Wed, Oct 30, 2019 2:41 pmSubject: side moulding fasteners reply John WatertorIn regards to the Tiger side moulding fasteners  The 7096040 clip (40 required ) These were metal rivets with the head sticking out of the body which was round to snap into the chrome side moulding. I needed some many years ago and purchased a plastic packageof them from Rootes with 9 in the package. I used 3 of them and still have 6 left some where in the house, that I haven't seen in years. Some one had 5 or 6 for sale on E-bay several years ago, but I did not want to pay $5 or $6 each for them. When I had my Tiger painted I had the body man grind them off because the problem of sanding off the old paint and repainting the car. I replaced them with the plastic fastenersfrom the after market parts dealers and are still on the car. The 7208008 fixing stud (6) my guess is the 1/8" square head threaded stud to clamp the chrome side molding to the body. There was one at the front of the front moulding, one on the door, I don't remember  where it was located and one on the back of the back moulding. I twisted mine off while removing them and had to make the replacements by cutting a 1/8" square brass plate from sheet brass, drilling a hole thru, going to the local hobby shop and buying the small bolts and then soldering  the head of the bolt to the 1/8" brass plate. My guess the 7208009 (6) sealing bush is a rubber washer to seal the above fixing stud on assembly. Don't remember using any 7208029 (6)  thread cutting fasteners. John Watertor