[Tigers] Temp Gauge Reading High?

gharlowe at comcast.net gharlowe at comcast.net
Fri Jul 10 13:03:08 MDT 2020

Listers -

I've been troubleshooting what I thought was a hot-running motor.   It's
mid-summer in the mid-Atlantic, and I have a triple-black Tiger, so not the
ideal scenario to run cool.   The car's been running between 210 and 220 at
50 mph on level roads.  It doesn't get a lot of miles, so I thought the
radiator might need a flush.  I changed the thermostat (180deg) at the same
time.   Same temps.  I pulled out an infrared thermometer and with the car
idling, the temp gauge was indicating ~ 215 while the infrared thermometer
was reading 183 when pointed at the water outlet and F4B manifold.   I
ordered a new temp sending unit from Rick - any other suggestions?

Thanks as always,

Graham Harlowe

B382001466