[Tigers] Temp Gauge Reading High?

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Fri Jul 10 15:07:00 MDT 2020

Graham

                One adage to follow is – if it’s not puking coolant, it’s not overheating.

You should always double check the temp of the engine to the gauge with an IR thermometer or other means – most gauges are off some.

Seems to me I read an article about someone putting a potentiometer or a small resistor in line with the temp gauge to make it read correctly.

You might want to do a system flush.  Make sure you read the Flush bottle directions completely for this.

I used Prestone Flush on my 1988 Mustang recently which stated for HD flush run the engine for 3 hours or more which I did by driving a couple hundred miles over 3 days.

On my Tiger I put an overflow bottle just in front of the header tank.   It will keep the coolant with your Tiger and not splashing on your front tire.

I also recommend that you flush and back flush the heater core.  The last time I did that all kinds of sediment came out.

I need to do that again this year.

Ron Fraser