[Tigers] Urban legend

Gary garywinblad at comcast.net
Sat Mar 7 17:06:15 MST 2020

Stu is the winna...
Urban myth is just that, a myth when it comes  to Sunbeam Tiger
distributors and engines causing it to be discontinued.

One good description from:
https://autouniversum.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/1968-u-s-lawmakers-introduce-automotive-safety-standards/

The first set of rules took effect exactly fifty years ago, January
1968; less than fifteen months after the agency was established.

Most of the new regulations simply codified best practice; requiring all
vehicles to have padded instrument panels, recessed inside door handles,
non-rigid armrests, breakaway inside mirrors, labeled controls,
twin-circuit brakes, two-speed wipers covering a minimum percentage of
the windscreen area, a left-hand outside mirror, reversing lamps and
four-way hazard flashers.

Other regulations required new features: energy-absorbing steering
columns, a warning lamp for brake circuit depressurization, minimal
post-collision fuel spillage, front and rear side marker lights or
reflectors, and windscreens with thicker-interlayer safety glass and
improved retention. Finally, all vehicles had to survive a 30 mph (48
kph) crash into a concrete barrier demonstrating survivability of
standardized test dummies in the front seats.

etc...

Gary