[Tigers] Request: Engine Tag Stamping

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Sat Mar 14 10:04:50 MDT 2020

Dave

                You are very correct about the Vin plate Font.   Brian Glenn wrote an excellent article about this and explains how serif and sans serif fonts were both used on the tags.   I believe Pressed Steel stamped the vin # and paint code then Jensen stamped the engine #; 2 different processes.

I have a set of 1/8” steel stamps, probably from Harbor Freight made in China, which are about the correct size.

Some of the stamps look similar to the original but not all of them.

0 - is not open enough

1 - does have a flag

2 – is not open enough

3,5,6,9 – are not open enough

The same goes for the letters; some look close others are too tight.

The Calibri font this email I’m typing with is similar to the original but I have not examined this font closely enough.

I have not explored the Font the Cleveland Foundry may have used on these decals.   Ford Corporate seemed to like Franklin font.

I’m of the opinion the Cleveland Foundry stamped and applied the valve cover decal.   It was part of their Export engine process and accounting process.

It would seem to me there is a typewriter somewhere that has the correct font.

I believe the Cleveland Foundry used something like a typewriter for this but the decals were most likely on a ribbon for production purposes.

It might be necessary to have stamps laser cut to precisely match the original font style, size and strike depth.

Ron Fraser