[Tigers] Mk 1A Seat Rebuild

Jay jay.laifman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 18:03:44 MDT 2021

I can tell you about when I did it on my SV Alpine, which I believe is the same.  I used the foam from SS and the diaphragm.  Wow, what a difference the seat was once it was correct.  I had previously replaced the original diaphragm with straps and clips I got at the local upholstery store.  Worked ok, but the correct foam and diaphragm was a revelation.

I have to tell you, I don’t remember right now what I did to stretch the rubber to put the clips in.  I do remember that getting the correct size clips was important - as I didn’t have all the originals.  I remember talking to Rick about it (It was about 25 years ago now).  I think I made some sort of grabber with a pliers.

I also had to remake the cardboard that went along the back of the frame, inside the seat covers.  That took a long time to get right.  I had to experiment with different thicknesses of cardboard and some steam to get it right.

I spent a bunch of time cleaning off the metal and painting it.  Mine were not bad.  But on a non-Sunbeam that I redid the seats on, there was a bit of rust.  Almost made me wish I left them alone - but in the end, they are stronger now.

Also, when I cut the vinyl around the two bottom edges, I cut it wrong.  So it doesn’t cover exactly right down there.  Pissed me off.  It’s ok.  I don’t think anyone would ever notice.  But I’m usually pretty good at seeing how things are supposed to be cut.  So I guess I’m only suggesting you take time there to make sure it’s right before you cut.  Perhaps I just totally blew it and it would be obvious if I did it again.

I was careful to epoxy the center section of the seat bottom into the square hold in the foam before doing anything.  That’s still holding 25 years later and I’m glad I did it.  I see folks where their seat bottom vinyl just floats.  That’s not a good look, to me.

Oh, and I’ve also seen on some cars people say they cover the seat backs with a large plastic bag before pulling on the upholstery.  I never did that because I didn’t want it to make crinkly noises every time I moved.  It was hard to slide it down.  It took a lot of squeezing and pressing a little at a time.  I don’t know if it would have been smarter to do the bag trick.

That’s all I remember.  Hope this helps.

Jay