[Tigers] Insurance

Jay jay.laifman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 14:45:28 MDT 2021

I’ve posted these thoughts here before.  Might as well do it again:

(1)  Be sure you know what kind of insurance you are getting: stated value or agreed value.  Stated value means you say the value, and they bill you premiums at that rate, but in a loss situation, they can still argue with you about the value (within limits).  Agreed value is that they are agreeing that is the value, and if you have a loss, there is no haggling on value.  I’m not saying stated value is bad.  I’m just saying be sure you know what you are getting - and don’t assume it is agreed value.

(2)  Be sure to know what the limits are for your use of the car.  Some of the classic policies will not cover you if you have a loss while in a hardware store parking lot, or in driving to work, or letting your less than 25 year old son or daughter drive it.  Those all killed it for me for my uses.  I decided it was better to be under insured than uninsured for my uses.  When I spoke to ALL the companies, they all had some form of limitation that I wasn’t willing to live with.

A buddy of mine has an XK140 and he drives it to work all the time.  Good for him.  But he says if he ever gets in an accident or its stolen, he will tell the insurance company he drove it to work that day because he was taking it to the shop.  That might be fine for him.  But again, I’d rather be underinsured than insurance fraud.

(3)  All of the companies require that you have another car of less than 15 years old.  And for all drivers.  You may have that.  I actually don’t.  My wife has a newer car.  But that didn’t count.

On Apr 17, 2021, at 6:37 AM, Dr. T. Y. McDowell <tym2 at comcast.net> wrote:

I've used Grundy for years.  I've never had a claim.

Tym McDowell