[Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 15, Issue 109

bob hermitagewood.com bob at hermitagewood.com
Sat Feb 19 16:42:11 MST 2022

Joel,
     You have it correct.   I'm betting you have a non-stock master, has your car been converted to a dual master cylinder?   I ran into the same problem recently, when upgrading to a 280zx master cylinder for 4 wheel discs.     The Datsun master was used with a booster, it never needed room between the clip and the piston for the pushrod retaining washer.    This meant the piston wouldn't retract enough to open the port to the reservoir, and the brakes were perpetually locked (or in my case, un-bleed-able).

In the end, I ended up swapping to a different master, which had room for the retaining washer.    Another option might be to shorten the piston by the thickness of the washer.    I've not tried that, but it makes sense.

Having the pushrod attached into the master with the retaining washer is the right way to do it.   The brake light switch some have suggested would probably work, but many of those switches are plastic, and none are meant to do that job.    I'd just feel safer with the pushrod attached properly, but that's just me.   Best of luck.

--Bob Burruss
Tiger #382000782

Message: 1