[Tr-gang] I've been thinking....

Mark J Bradakis mjb@autox.team.net
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 04:04:17 -0600 (MDT)

Yes, I'm sure it means trouble.  Ever since shearing the flywheel bolts
on the red racer at the last IVR event, I've been toying with various plans
for winter projects.  We'll see if I have anything driveable at the October
IVR race in about 5 weeks.  Killer with the hot cam and shaved head?

And it is the IVR races that have taken up most of my interest lately.
They've been fun, but with either Killer or the red racer, I've been the
slowest car in the race.  Ideally I'd like to have another Spitfire out
there so we could go at it tooth and nail to see who can stay out of last
place.  It might still happen.

But I've had another thought.  The Spits can corner and brake (No comments,
Mr. Allred) with the Mustangs, Camaros RX7s and even Corvettes.  But with that
looonnngg front straight those wimpy little 4 bangers have a tough time
staying with the big boys.

One plan I had was to build a pair of squaretail Spits this winter for IVR
racing, maybe even to SCCA specs so we, being myself and Bob Allred, could
attend one or two regionals at a Colorado track, or maybe make the cars
legal for a VARA race in Phoenix or Las Vegas.  That could be fun.

Now I'm considering building just one car for IVR and maybe occasional
autocross duty.  A squaretail Spit with a hopped-up GT6 motor.  I've got
enough clapped-out squaretail bonnets I wouldn'd mind cutting and welding
one for the needed engine and triple Weber clearence.  No place to run it
in vintage or SCCA road racing, but a D Mod autocrosser at local events
could be entertaining.  Maybe it was looking at those dyno graphs in Kas'
new book that got me thinking about that 2 litre 6, I don't know.  From
about 18 pounds per horsepower to maybe 11 or 12 ....

mjb.