[Tr-gang] The end of an era.

robert bownes bownes at seiri.com
Sat Nov 14 18:42:06 MST 2009

The place I spent many many hours working on Triumphs and essentially built
the Spit race car is going to be foreclosed on for back taxes soon. The
owner, a close friend died two weeks ago. His family asked those of us who
spent time there to see what was worth saving, if anything. We went through
it today. It's pretty sad. The roof has huge holes in it, getting ready to
collapse in spots. Everything is either rusting in the dripping water or
covered in dust so thick you can't tell what it was. My TR250 engine is
buried behind a vintage VW transporter that we will need to figure out how
to move before I can get it out (it is on it's engine stand and in great
shape though). We pulled out a few VW parts so old that they are labeled
'Auto Union', some 39hp Beetle parts, and a few other interesting tidbits to
see if the collection is worth much. I really need to find the VW equivalent
of Ted S.

Perhaps the saddest for me is abandoning the GT6+ in the basement. Mark will
recognize it. Just not worth the effort to get it the heck out of there. It
was a good donor for the Spit back in the day however. Maybe I should at
least try to save the hood...And maybe the doors...And...herein lies
madness.

So it goes.