[TR] TR3 metal fan

Mike Denman mikedenman at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 10 10:22:25 MDT 2007

Hi group,
    I wanted to alert the members that I found a serious manufacturing
defect with a four bladed metal fan I just received. The steel rivets, on
the fan I received, are not "set" properly. There are gaps under the
manufactured head of the rivets that hold the fan together that range up to
.080". The manufacture head and the shop head should both sit flat to the
surface being riveted. With a gap under the head of the rivet there is no
strength to the riveted joint. This means, over time, that there is a very
real possibility that the rivets will work loose. In this application, given
enough time, it is almost a certainty that the rivets will work loose. The
problem, in my opinion, is really serious. The fan I received happened to
come from Moss and they are taking the steps to correct the problem. I
checked with TRF to see if they had any fans that were riveted properly.
They were out of metal fans and said that they buy them from Moss in any
event. The manufactures problem is probably  related to the thickness of the
powder coating on the center portion of the fan hub. The powdercoating needs
to be removed from the rivet hole before the fan is riveted. I used to be an
aircraft mechanic and I have done a lot of riveting and I understand how it
is supposed to be done.
Mike Denman
TR3