[TR] A question regarding 12 poitn and 6 point sockets

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Mon Aug 13 12:13:34 MDT 2007

Generally speaking, six point sockets are used on hex nuts where a heavy
tightening or untightening torque is to be applied, as in using an impact
wrench.  12 points are generally used when tightening or untightening can be
accomplished by hand, rather than by a machine.

8 point sockets would only be used on square nuts.

As an asided, you should always use the correct sized wrench or socket for
the job.  I have never bought into the "pound a metric socket onto the nut"
school of thought, for loosening nuts that have worn corners, for example.
There are better and safer ways of removing recalcitrant nuts, that don't
involve smashing your knuckles because the wrong sized socket slipped off
the nut.

For the same reason, any adjustable wrenches should be banished to the far
corners of the shop so that you are not tempted to use them instead of the
correct wrench.  I would venture to guess that many of the rounded off
corners on nuts and bolts on our cars were caused by POs that used
adjustable wrenches.

Mike Marr