[TR] White smoke out the tail pipe

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Aug 14 20:00:49 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/14/2007 7:16:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
boggiano at charter.net writes:
> My TR4 seems to have developed a large whiteish plume of smoke from the
> tail
> pipe, most evident on acceleration but it seems like it is always there.
> Oil pressure is fine 70 at speed 40-50 at idle when warm. Oil looks clean
> when
> I changed it tonight. Compression is fine at each of the cylinders
> It does seem to be "loosing" cooling antifreeze but there is no leak or
> puddle

I hate to say this but does "head gasket leak" mean anything?  The "smoke may
very well be steam and that is where the missing coolant is going.  You might
try retorquing the head.

A worse thought is a cracked head but let's not go there.

Dave

Dave