[TR] Shipping gearbox and or O/D from UK to US

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 21 16:14:41 MDT 2007

> Has anyone shipped an overdrive gearbox from the UK to
> the US?  I've located an A type 'box in the UK and
> would like to have it rebuilt and shipped to the US
> but expect it might to cost prohibitive.

I did in 2002.  UPS to a business address in soCA was 210 GBP, a little over
$400 at today's exchange rate.  Seller claimed UPS was cheapest.

Watch out for added customs brokerage fees.  I didn't have to pay any extra
fees for this shipment, but I've had other international shipments where the
broker that UPS uses sent me a separate bill.  There was no duty due on the
shipment, this was purely a fee to a customs broker.  I try not to use UPS
for that reason.

Also remember that you'll need a crate that is very close to the size of the
gearbox.  Just a  few inches longer would make it over UPS's limit.

>  If too
> expensive to ship teh whole assesmbly I'll have only
> the OD rebuilt and ship that.

If this is for a TR, then I would suggest only shipping the OD.  In fact,
I'd suggest having the core shipped here and having it rebuilt on this side
of the pond.  But don't forget the other little parts needed for the
conversion, like adapter plate and mainshaft.  Or that there are different
mainshafts, depending on which gearset you have.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.