[TR] marking TDC

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Sun Dec 9 21:38:26 MST 2007

I'm still quite an amateur because me (or the engine shop) put the 'crankshaft
pulley flange' on in the slightly wrong position.  I don't think I have cause
to worry, though, as I ran the engine (mounted on the chassis and a year and a
half ago) without discovering this error until yesterday.  Now I've got the
body on it, and I had to use the Bentley manual (TR3B-TR4) to again do the
'ignition timing' procedure.
    I know things are weird cause I pulled #1 spark plug (and with the Sun's
direct rays) I could see inside the cylinder.  I also took my plastic straw,
holding it in a consistant place on top of the piston (and notching a spot on
it too to make sure when it's heighth plateau'd after a rising) and was
satisfied when TDC occured on the correct stroke.  Of course, the dist. rotor
pointed at #1 (verifying things).  AGAIN THE BIG THING IS THIS:  when the
flange's hole lined up with the pointer, the #1 piston was far from the top!
Again, i went twice around with the fan blades and I saw that TDC occured when
the small hole was at 10 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock..  I JUST to fix this
so I can time it, but, I don't care to dissassemble it just to get the small
flange hole right.  I'll be satisfied with a dot of white paint or something.
Hopefully, it's not going to be difficult!  Maybe a small white dot about 2",
or so, on the flange before the hole?
Thanks, Paul