[TR] Flare instructions.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Dec 22 10:51:55 MST 2007

> When I look at an inverted flare ( American) I can clearly
> see that the metal is doubled over on itself.  I have never
> been able to figure out how to do this with a flaring toll
> and new line.

It requires a special tool; an ordinary plumbing flaring tool will not do.
The directions should come with the tool.  Generally, you have to square,
deburr and then file a chamfer on the end of the line.  Then for the kit I
used, you mount the line in the tool and use a special die to crush the end
into a bubble shape.  Then remove the die and use what amounts to an
ordinary flaring tool to crush the bubble into a double flare.

I found this nearly impossible on pre-cut lines from the local auto parts
store ... I'm told it's much easier if you start with 'virgin' brake line
which apparently is softer.  But since pre-flared lines are available for
the TR2-6, I would suggest going that way if at all possible.

Randall