[TR] TR4 Distributors

spamiam at comcast.net spamiam at comcast.net
Thu Jul 12 15:27:14 MDT 2007

John,

First, do a vacuum check on the vacuum capsule of each distributor.  If one leaks, then it is probably not eligible for use.  It is possible to get them serviced or (in some cases) new ones.  Also check each one for wear on the shaft and proper motion of the mechanical advance and vacuum advance mechanisms.

I have seen on EBay, some new distributors, but they appear to be a "one size fits all" approach.

There IS a difference between the DM2 and 25D4.  Functionally, the difference is the advance curves.  How much mechanical advance, and how much vacuum advance.  I forget the specifics on these distributors, but as I recall the 25D was set up for more advance.

More advance means more power (within limits) as long as the octane of the fuel and compression of engine can tolerate it.  The 25D4 is the later distributor, and that one would be the one I would pick if all else is equal regarding wear in the units.

Mechanically, there are differences between the DM2 and 25D4 units,  This means that the Pertronix magnet sleeve that is correct (size/orientation) for one is not right for the other.  Even then there was variability in production tolerances.  The Pertronics for my 25D4 did NOT have a snug fit on the shaft and wiggled probably 3 degrees in either direction.  Tech Service told me how to improve that, but it was definitely a Rube Goldberg fix.