[TR] Headlight Alarm found, was Aftermarket Anti-battery draining device

dorpaul dorpaul at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 4 19:30:33 MST 2008

Hopefully this headlight alarm from JC Whitney will alert you when you've left
your lights on but have turned off the car.  It is only $10.50 and available
at
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10101&Pr=p
_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2001371&TID=8014524F&TID=8014524F&productId=2001371&ca
talogId=10101

A long time ago I installed a device that has a 'buzzer that alarms you when
the lights are left on and the ignition is off'.  At that time I think I
bought it from Radio Shack for $15.  I am having a hard time finding this
device in 2008.  I'm sure that at least part of the reason for it's
dissapearence is that today's cars are loaded down with buzzers.  I want it
for my 12 year old Nissan Truck (which doesn't have this installed).
    Although I've yet to drive a Triumph (and I've heard stories that these
cars can indeed be made to run) it seems that such a device on a British Car
might be a lifesaver!!!!!!!!

Acting on Mike Denman's suggestion, I tried Camping World but they no longer
carry the 'Priority Start' .  However, I found these people do specialize in
this item:
http://www.prioritystart.com/store.html
This gizmo works differently then the 'buzzer that alarms you when the lights
are left on and the ignition is off'.  This gizmo automatically disengages the
battery when the battery's voltage drops below a certain amount, but reingages
it when you hit the brake pedal or door light.  This gizmo costs around $100

Some other folk's advice is shown below:
Radio Shack caries a number of 12 volt buzzers, any of which will work.
For conventional hot switched headlight circuits and such you connect the
buzzer in the fuse box from the headlight fuse to another that grounds when
the car is switched off, frequently the wiper circuit.
If your Nissan is ground switched (Honda does that sporadically), you'll
need to include a simple relay.

If you want to make one:
Buzzer reminds you to turn off headlights and parking lights when you turn off
ignition.
POPULAR ELECTRONICS [1] May 1965 (v.22#5) pg. 45

Headlight alarm sounds if the lights are left on after the ignition is
switched off.
POPULAR ELECTRONICS [1] Jan 1966 (v.24#1) pg. 81

Headlight alarm will go off if you leave your lights on after you turn off
ignition. Also will warn you if you try to start your car with lights on.
POPULAR ELECTRONICS [1] Apr 1966 (v.24#4) pg. 65

This page is quite interesting at
<http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/headalrm.html>

it has plans for building a 'headlight alarm'.  I wish I were
'Randall-inclined' as I might then attempt it.  If someone does try this would
you please write me?

Paul Dorsery

60 TR3

--