[TR] Armstrong shock oil - follow up

Tony Gordon triumph at 2simpleusa.com
Thu Apr 24 19:08:17 MDT 2008

I did get some 60wt Harley racing shock oil for my rear shocks at the
massive Harley place in Dayton Beach a few years ago (and it is Harley
Racing Oil badged too): it pours like treacle ... it took ages to get the
oil in the shocks (had to warm it) and they were as stiff as hell ... for
regular driving, really firm and much better than standard (no squat at the
rear).  But when we autox'd the car, after one lap, it was like a kangaroo
at the rear ... the shocks had no resistance at all, so I'm guessing that
the oil was totally aerated ... this is the problem that plagued Armstrong
shocks from day one ... really heavy loads leads to loss of shock
effectiveness with oils weight other than standard, and the standard shocks
are naff to say the least ....

You can revalve the Armstrong's, but they are a very poor high performance
shock design from the outset.  The 2000 saloon never used Armstrong's:  it
used tubular shocks and was a superb rally car with good high perf. shocks
... I'd go for a tube shock conversion and add some adjustable Bilsteins if
I was you ... (I have them on the front, and will add them to the rear at
some point soon).

Tony Gordon
72 TR6