[TR] TR6 tranny alignment - use of dowels

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 15 11:20:58 MST 2008

> I  agree with the dowel pin issue. Its very important that
> either the
> original dowel pins be installed or shoulder bolts.

I agree they are important, except I believe the original parts (at least on
later TR6 as well as Stag) were in fact special "dowel bolts" with full
diameter shanks.  Not "shoulder bolts" though, because they took 3/8" nuts
rather than 5/16".  P/N 132872 + HN2009 (and lock washer WL0209).

Don't know if the change was because the dowels tended to fall out; or
whether it was to strengthen the joint ... but if you're going to use
dowels, I'd be sure to coat them with Loctite on one end or the other.

Randall