[TR] what a blast!

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 3 18:51:49 MDT 2008

David

In its day, Standard-Triumph did all sorts of things to save money - and one
of them was putting in heavy gauge cable to supply something in which a relay
would have been a more sensible option. The same goes for lighting and the
ancient column switches that many are still using. These switches have been
failing for a long time now because they were never expected to last more than
10 years at the most. After decades of arcing, they finally surrender.
However, if more relays were included by restorers (amateur and professional
alike) I think we would see fewer problems of that sort. Of course, many will
claim that the installation of relays when none were there originally,
destroys claims of originality. Speaking purely for myself, I'd rather have a
car that is well restored and cared for which shows the addition of extra
equipment to prolong component working life, rather than replicate a
specification that came about because the company was too cheapskate to
install as original equipment :)

Cheers, Jonmac

    Relay it, for heaven's sake!!!!!!!
  I am trying to avoid heaven, or whatever calling there might be for me.
That's why I am installing the horns.
  I have a four terminal relay as Randall suggested, so in it goes.

  The installation of this thing calls for 16 gauge, as I said, but the stock
uses 12 or larger with no relay.  Therefore, the question.

  David Lylis
  69 TR6 CC26160L
  60 TR3A TS74461LO