[TR] Fwd: Coil failure

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 11 17:05:04 MDT 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008 06:23 pm, Skip Gurnee wrote:
> Hi Mark-
> When my TR4 was new, I was told that coils don't like heat or vibration, so
> Triumph mounted them on the engine where they could get the most possible
> of both.  I simply moved the coil over to the fender well.  If you're not a
> purist, it looks like it belongs there, it's an easy modification -two
> drilled holes- and I don't remember ever having a coil fail.
> This is more about prevention, and does not dispute the other answers
> you've received.  If you're failing several, the likely fix is what's
> already been offered from the List.
> Best,
> Skip Gurnee
> 64 TR4
> 66 TR4A

All,

I did the same thing, first on the 3 then on the 4. Never had a failure on the
3 which I have had since '79. Have only had the 4 for 2 seasons.

I believe they get a bit more cool air flow from the side than on the engine.

But I had to fit bolts to the mounting holes on the block as oil would leak
out. Easy fix, just some gasket goop and 2 1/4 20 bolts.

Both have the Lucas sport coil.

Bob