[TR] New Tach & Speedo Cables-TR3 - lubrication

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jul 15 10:32:05 MDT 2008

> As a compromise, how about using a moly grease with graphite ( i.e..
> engine prelube ) ?

As I understand it, Assembly Lube is a relatively short-lived grease, so
possibly not suitable in situations that call for long-term lubrication.

But I have always used a thin coating of wheel bearing grease with moly; and
have never had a speedo or tach cable fail without some other obvious cause
for the failure.  TS39781LO got a new speedo cable because the old one had
rubbed and abraded through the outer jacket, leading to rusting of the outer
metal housing (but still worked).  And AFAIK is still wearing it's original
tach cable.

Admittedly I don't normally drive my TRs in below freezing temperatures.
But I have done so, and the speedo and tach operation didn't seem any worse
than normal.  Any extra jitter of the needles was more likely due to the
driver shivering!
<G>

Doesn't prove anything, and I'm not saying anything else is wrong.  Just
adding another anecdote to the collection.  YMMV

Randall