[TR] removing rust in block

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 17:39:06 MDT 2008

Randall is, of course, right.  You can get away with a short cut.

I would (stubbornly) <G>  argue here that if you have the engine out, the engine on a stand, and the head off, you're a long way into a major overhaul.  If you have rust as severe as you describe, I also wonder about the condition of the rings and bearings.  These are not expensive.  Why not replace them while you have the engine out, and take the crank in to be checked and the block in to be boiled? Given the amount of work that got you to this point, and the downtime it takes to get there, this may not constitute shipwright's disease as much as prudent prevention.

Then again, if you don't mind removing the apron, pulling the engine, and doing all this again anytime soon, no problem.  Otherwise, why gamble?

O man, I HATE to have a different opinion than Randall!

:o)

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

From: "Randall" <tr3driver at ca.rr.com>