[TR] Are Electric Pumps Going To Be Necessary

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jul 31 08:44:05 MDT 2008

> Randall may have another view?

No, not this time <g>

There do seem to be some issues, with some older cars, running the ethanol
mix that is currently mandated in the US.  However, the problems rarely seem
to be vapor lock as such (fuel boils in the lines before the pump) and more
often boiling between the pump and the jets; leading to things like hard
starting or erratic idle when hot.  Electric pumps are not going to help
with that problem.

However, Joe Alexander is offering carburetor heat shields for TR3-6 that do
seem to be helpful; on cars that do have a problem.  Electric radiator fans
can also help (by lowering underhood temperatures).

It's my opinion that the US ethanol mandate is a really bad idea; and that
most likely our leaders will realize that soon and do away with it.  So,
unless you are having severe problems today (mine were never enough to
really worry about, other than changing the rubber components), doing
nothing seems to be the prudent course of action.  If your mechanical pump
does fail, rebuild it with a new (not NOS) diaphragm as anything made in the
last 10 years or so should be appropriately resistant to modern fuels.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Randall