[TR] front fender to filter clearance?

Steven Newell steven at newellboys.net
Mon Nov 17 08:30:47 MST 2008

dorpaul wrote:

>I am installing new & different air filters on my SU H6's. With the my new large filters mounted I can tell that  the new chrome filter for the front carb maybe too close to it's inner fender.  When the engine torques and moves in it's compartment it may hit the inner fender.
>    The distance between the fender and the front air filter is about 1".  How much room between these surfaces should I allow?

The fellow who owned my car from '64-'98 ran a few SCCA races way back
in the days before I was born. He had a similar problem with the fit of
larger-than-stock air filters, and solved it the way I've heard some
other club racers did -- with a Big Fender Hammer.

My long-ago bashed dimple allows about 1 1/2" of clearance for my K&N
housing. Before the bashing, I'd guess there was only 1/2" clearance.
I'm not endorsing fender bashing, and if I were you I would wait and see
what happens when you run the car. Your 1" might be plenty.

Steven "what you call a bashed-in dent, I call patina" Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4