[TR] Installation of TR3A top

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Wed Nov 26 12:59:30 MST 2008

I have a new Robbins top for my TR3A.  Through the restoration process  the
bows have been refinished and the old webbng has been removed, and all parts
saved.
OK, so here we go.  I am reasoning through the install of the new top  and
have come up with the following process:
1.  Locate and install the Tenax fasteners on the windscreen  end.  This
makes sense to me because this is the end with the least  fudge factor.
2.  Raise the bows and lay the new webbing over the top with the new  webbing
permanently fastened to the cockpit rear
3.  Snap the tenax fasteners to the windscreen and lay the top  over the
bows.  One person must be inside supporting the bows and  pushing up to insure
tightness while another person pulls the top tight and  marks the location of the
two rear "corner" Lift the Dot pegs.
4.  Remove the top and install the two rear "corner" Lift the  Dot fasteners.
 These may need to be done one at a time.
5.  Lay the top back over the bows repeating step 3
6.  Push the top back up tight from the inside while the  outside person
marks the two "center" pegs and the inside person marks where the  webbing
attaches to the bows.  Again, the pegs may need to be done one at a  time.
7.  Remove the top and install the webbing to the bows and  install the two
"center" Lift the Dot fasteners.
8.  Repeat step 3 again and fasten all exisitng fasteners.
9.  Mark the remaining pegs one at a time and remove the top  between each
marking and install fasteners until all fasteners are in  place.

Am I missing something in this process or is there a better sequence  anyone
can suggest?

Robbins is very specific in paperwork sent with the top that I am NOT to
call them and ask for installation instructions.

I am not intimidated by this at all, just looking for conventional  wisdom in
this job.

TIA

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L