[TR] Nitrogen in Tires

don don at napanet.net
Mon Sep 1 19:33:17 MDT 2008

I wonder also.  Especially on cars that are not driven that much.  I'm told
that tires rot and can look perfect but be dangerous.  I bought a 18k mile
1980 TR8 about seven years ago.  It had the original tyres on it which
looked great.  When I got the car home and sorted, as I was driving it,
bubbles formed on two of the tires, so I replaced the whole set.  Anyway, I
wonder it the deterioration could have been slowed or prevented if they
were not oxidizing, but instead had nitrogen instead of air in them.
Don Scott
'91 Miata BRG
'62 MGA Mk II
No Triumph at present