[TR] Clutch slippage

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at charter.net
Sat Sep 6 19:51:34 MDT 2008

At 08:18 PM 9/5/2008, terryrs at comcast.net wrote:
>But...what's happening is, during "spirited" shifting, at high rev
>and quick clutch release, I don't get a hard slam from the clutch,
>but rather a slow, drawn out engagement that leaves me stranded for
>acceleration for about a second, second-and-a-half.

How I Do It:  When I suspect the pressure plate is weak, I go out in
a parking lot with no nearby obstructions.  While stopped, I apply
the parking brake and put the car in fourth gear.  Give it a little
throttle (about 1000 or 1500 rpm) and let the clutch out slowly.  If
the car stalls, the clutch is good.  If it happily purrs, the clutch
is most likely slipping.  this will, of course, put a huge strain on
your clutch,  If you choose to do this, pay attention to what is happening...

Clutch slippage can be due to weak springs on the pressure plate or
worn linings on the driven disc; also oil leaking from the rear main
engine oil seal or transmission input shaft seal can get on the
lining.  But of course, oil leakage never happens in a Triumph...

Jeff Scarbrough      75 TR6 x 1, 76 1500 x 2, 78 1500 x 1, 80 1500 x 0.5
http://www.fishplate.org/vehicles/
Athens, Georgia         #354