[TR] TR3a extra switch locations?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 9 16:20:16 MDT 2008

Bob Schaller's More BS about TRs showed his dash layout, which as I recall
provided for 2 extra gauges and several extra switches; without having
anything hanging down below the dash.  He made a new center panel for the
gauges, and relocated some of the controls and indicators elsewhere.

I've also seen a gauge added to the dash outboard of the steering wheel,
that looked nice.  Don't recall what he did with the OD and heater switches,
tho.

I've not tried adding things below the dash in a TR3A, but I'd want to do a
mockup first.  Had a van once that had an oil pressure gauge added in a
location that looked safe enough; but the gauge got kicked occasionally and
eventually the oil line broke and dumped hot oil on the carpet.

Another thought: Smiths made a dual mechanical oil pressure/water
temperature gauge that fits in the standard 2" (52mm) hole.  If you used one
of those to replace the original pair of gauges, you'd have an extra hole
for another gauge.  These were commonly used in other British cars of the
period (MGA, Healey, etc.).  And I even managed to find one on flea-bay with
a black bezel to match the Stag instruments.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280265151680

Randall