[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 471

banc8004 at comcast.net banc8004 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 21 15:30:02 MDT 2008

> From: 60TR3A <60TR3A at cox.net>
> Subject: Re: [TR] collective wisdom ?

> "Electronic!!!!!!!
>
> <snip>

It has made them all run like my wife's Honda."

Believe me, I'm no purist. If having your TR run like your wife's Honda makes you happy, have at it. For me its not in the 'spirit' of a 1950-60s car. But that's me, and contact breaker points are part of the charm. That two tiny contacts, adjusted to 15 thou, allow this car to come alive, appeals to me. Its why I have this car rather than a Miata.

The other side of this is practicality:
Points decay; electronic ignition fails catastrophically, without warning
Replacement points cost <$10, and could fit in the ashtray. Replacement electronic ignition costs $$$.

Hearing drivers tell me they carry a spare distributor, with spare electronic ignition within, "in case of failure", knowing of failures leaving other drivers up 'sh*t creek without a paddle', leads me to stick to analogue.

I believe I'm more likely to get home.

Brian