[TR] figure 8 gaskets

FGFO1 at aol.com FGFO1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 13:58:47 MDT 2008

I think the key to getting an out of kilter liner back to where it should be
is to machine the bottom of the liner not the block.
If you have tried rotating the liner 4 x 90 degrees and its always the same
side that's higher by the same amount, then for sure its the block.
But you can compensate for that by having a good machinist take off a
thousand or two at the base of the liner. He does this by setting up the liner in his
lathe and dial gauge it off of square by the amount you desire to be removed.
If you try it 4 x 90 and its different each time and/or the difference
follows the bad side round the block, then its your liner. And that is very easy for
a machinist to square up.
Then I supposed its just a case of using 2 liners if you had to remove too
much metal.
Its a precision job that should not be trusted to any one under 40.
Frank Fisher