[TR] Transmission assembly question

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 09:12:15 MDT 2009

Randall wrote:
>> I was wondering what and how much
>> lubrication should I put on the pilot bearing for the transmission input
>> shaft? The bushing looks to be bronze and I wonder if it needs any
>> lubrication at all?
>>

> The book says it is Oilite, so should not need any further lubrication.  I
> use a little dry moly anyway, which at least doesn't seem to hurt anything.

If memory serves, Oilite is a porous bronze alloy that retains oil
inside the porous structure.  I tend to soak new Oilite bushings in oil
overnight before installing them.  I suspect the approved method
involves heat but I never got around to looking it up.  I also tend to
smear a little assembly lube on the bushing to shaft surfaces anyway
just to make assembly easier.  Just a little because I don't want the
lube to work its way out to the friction surfaces.

TeriAnn