[TR] TR6 engine rebuild

Wayne rengrave at verizon.net
Mon Aug 17 08:40:31 MDT 2009

I'm on vacation this week and I am determined to get the engine together and
in the car (73 TR6).

Can someone tell me what goes in the tapped hole directly above the oil
filter?
It's a tapped hole about 3/4" dia..
I'm not sure if it's a tapered thread or straight?

What I removed from this hole was a smashed looking mess, I think it was
aluminum. The machine shop cleaned
it out when they cleaned the block.

TRF shows a plug but no size  (Item AH11: Part # PU1404).

I need the plug ASAP and was thinking of buying a plug at the local hardware
store so I could install it this week.

What is the break-in procedure for the engine to properly break-in the cam and
piston rings?
I intend to add straight 30 wt "non-detergent" oil with a bottle of Lucas
engine break-in oil additive.
This additive has TB Zinc-plus on the bottle and protects flat tappet camshaft
and valve train during break-in period.

The directions on the bottle say to drain the oil after 1000 miles and refill
engine with normal oil.
I intend to refill it with Castrol GTX 20-50 like I have always used in the
past on my TR6.

Assembly lube?
Cam lobe lube?
Break-in oil?

Any suggestions on what you guys have used are welcome.

Wayne