[TR] Drinkin' and Smokin'

Stephen Oertwig oertwig at mac.com
Mon Aug 17 13:38:10 MDT 2009

Triumph Experts All,

I am at my wit's end with my GT6 MK III (late) drinkin' brake fluid,
and then smokin' so bad afterwards.

Here is the story:  I had the brake master cylinder rebuilt by White
Post a couple years ago.  At the same time changed the rear wheel
cylinders.  BTW:  this is the bastard year for GT6 rear brakes.  All
is fine after the rebuild.

Last year, brake fluid start draining from the master cylinder after
sitting for a few days.  It was not enough to have to bleed the
system, but you have never seen such a cloud of smoke in your life
when it started.  It looked like one of those mosquito foggers.
Eventually, after about five miles of driving, it will quit smoking.
It will puff smoke when I step on the brakes for a while.

I assumed there is something wrong with the power brake booster (the
model with the dimpled band, which is non-serviceable according to the
workshop manual.)  I thought something was drawing brake fluid into
the power booster, which was then being sucked into the intake
manifold through the vacuum line.

That's what I thought.  Saturday, a couple knowledgeable Triumph
friends came to look at the GT6.  As soon as it started up, and they
smelled the smoke, they said I had a blown head gasket.  They smelled
coolant vaporizing, and said it was not smoke, but steam.

I don't have any water in the oil, and the coolant is not oily.

OK.  The head gasket is fixable, but what is the problem with the
brake fluid draining out of the reservoir?  Has anyone heard of brake
fluid being sucked into the brake booster, let alone causing smoke?

Time is running out because I may drive from Virginia to California
for the VTR convention.    Ideas?

Steve Oertwig