[TR] Replacement bolts

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Fri Aug 21 07:14:09 MDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <FordneyNJ at aol.com>
To: <triumphs at autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:51 PM
Subject: [TR] Replacement bolts

> Fully threaded bolts are called tap bolts. Bolts with shanks are hex cap
> screws.
> Tap bolts come ungraded or grade 5.  Hex cap screws commonly as  grade 5
> and grade 8.  Most sources would have all of these in UNC (coarse)  and
> UNF
> (fine).
>

> Rodney Ford

I was taught the opposite:  bolts are fasteners that have only partially
threaded shanks and those with fully threaded shanks are cap screws.  A bolt
relies on a nut for its fastening capability, whereas a screw fastens by
engaging with a tapped hole in the piece to which it is securing something.

Mike