[TR] TR3A running temp

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 22 12:41:39 MDT 2009

> Would I do well to plug that
> hose again and will it have any effect on the running temp?

Results are mixed on that question.  When my TR3A developed severe
overheating problems, blocking the bypass made no difference at all.  Later
tests after the defective radiator was replaced also seemed to show no
difference.  But others have reported that it did help on their car; so I
guess it depends on what the exact problem is.

Note that it's a bad idea to block the flow entirely, you want some water
moving even when the thermostat is closed.  Otherwise the cylinder head will
get very hot before the Tstat opens, and the sudden inrush of cool water can
cause the cast iron to crack.   One solution is to only restrict the flow
through the bypass, not block it entirely.

Since I live in a warmer climate I went the other way for maximum cooling,
and drilled a hole in the thermostat instead.  It causes a slower warm-up,
though.

-- Randall