[TR] TR3A cooling, more

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jun 23 11:31:12 MDT 2009

> Is it possible that as I increase speed the air flow bypassing the
> radiator
> increases the pressure in the engine bay therefore slowing the flow of air
> from front to back through the radiator?

Could be.  But don't forget that at lower, constant speeds, the engine is
also making less power and so producing less heat.  Power output has much
more to do with heat produced than engine rpm.

> I didn't know that the shrouds
> were suposed to be there as the other two 3As that I am familiar with do
> not
> have them either.

Early 3As did not have the shroud originally, it was added later by the
factory to help reduce overheating.  I forget the change point offhand, but
it was after TS39781.  However it was a factory-approved retrofit to earlier
cars.

Others have found that adding a 'spoiler' below the radiator can also help
with cooling, by both reducing pressure behind the radiator, and directing
more air into the part of the radiator below the 'shelf'.

-- Randall