[TR] Regarding Oil

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Thu May 7 11:57:01 MDT 2009

David L wrote:
> a racing oil that is "not street legal" has a very short
> sump life and is intended to be used and dumped with a high
> frequency...  The reason is; it does a very good job for a
> very short (by comparison) time.  Amounts of ZDDP in excess
> of 1200 - 1300 ppm are not good for your  motor...  As a
> result of this article I chose Valvoline VR-1 20/50 Racing
> because of its availability and ZDDP levels in the 1200 -
> 1300 ppm range.

This raises a few questions, if you please.  Can we assume that street-legal VR1 does have a long sump life even though the "not street legal" does not?  That seems to be your implication.

Secondly, if the "not street legal" stuff is "not street legal" because of its ZDDP content, how can the street-legal VR1 stuff still contain ZDDP too?

Thanks,
Jim Muller