[TR] Question for listers

Jim Bauder jimbpps at cox.net
Sat May 9 17:07:09 MDT 2009

A few weeks ago a friend blew the head gasket on their TR4. The head was pulled
and sent to a machinist where they did a slight resurface and a valve job. Now
the head is ready to go on the block and we find that the web that is cast in
the block from right to left and located between cylinders 2 and 3 has a crack
in it! I have seen a lot of Triumph 4 cylinder engines without their heads, but
I don't believe I have ever seen this particular type of crack. I have seen
plenty of heads cracked between the water ports between cylinders 2 and 3, but
not the block!

Has anyone on the list seen a crack as described? If so what did they do? Weld
it up? Ignore it? Or what?

Thanks in advance for any advice, help, etc.

Jim
Jim Bauder
Cell: 480-309-9525
'68 TR250 CD47L