[TR] bubble to double

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu May 14 07:38:56 MDT 2009

> is there a chance that I can turn a FLAPS-bought steel 3/16" tubing BUBBLE
> FLARE into a DOUBLE FLARE?

In theory, yes.  In practice it may be impossible.

> If so, how?

Put it in your flaring tool positioned as though you were partway through
the second operation, and complete the operation by forcing the top of the
convex 'bubble' down to become concave.

But I have to think it would be easier to find a double flare line at your
FLAPS.  The pre-made lines seem to be much harder than the flaring tools are
designed to accommodate.  If you really must make your own lines, I'd
suggest buying a coil of fully annealed line from JCW or JEGS or similar.
You might even be able to order it at your FLAPS.

Randall