[TR] 1976 TR6 air pump rattle

davgil at aol.com davgil at aol.com
Mon May 18 12:45:27 MDT 2009

This should be a softball for the experts on this list, but I simply don't know the answer.? While?running the engine in my 1976 TR6, I heard what sounded like a rattle that I had not noticed before, though it may have been merrily rattling along for some time.? As I focused on the sound, I believe that it is coming from the air pump (smog pump?) rather than from the engine internals.? If this is the problem, and I decide to eliminate the pump, can I simply remove the belt between the water pump and air pump with no further action necessary, or should I blank off the connection from the pump?? If I am going to remove the pump, should I remove all of the pollution controls?? I am in Georgia and the car no longer requires an inspection so that particular issue will not raise its ugly head.? The car is an occasional driver, not a daily driver.? Except for a Crane electronic ignition, my car is very stock with all pollution equipment still in place.? Your advice is greatly appreciated.
David Gill
1976 TR6